Whether you are a skincare junkie or a newbie, chances are that you already use products consisting of vitamin E (or tocopherol as it is referred to on product labels.) One of the primary vitamin E skincare benefits that makes it so popular with skincare brands is its ability to fight free radicals.
What are free radicals you ask? Free radicals are all the environmental factors that cause damage to your skin. Dust, grime, pollution, smoking and sun exposure, all qualify as free radicals. Using vitamin E products shield your skin from the effects of all of these. But wait, there are many other vitamin E skincare benefits that make this ingredient the holy grail for all skincare products.
5 Vitamin E Skincare Benefits
1. Prevention Of Fine Lines
The visibility of wrinkles and fine lines on the skin is a very common effect of ageing. Vitamin E contains a high concentration of antioxidants that improves the circulation of blood, hence resulting in tighter skin. Usage of vitamin E reduces the visibility of the existing fine lines while preventing further such lines and wrinkles.
Moisturisation is the key to effective skincare and vitamin E is the key to effective moisturisation. The fat-soluble properties of vitamin E ensure that the product penetrates deep into the skin. Vitamin E helps the skin retain the lipids that are required for keeping the skin soft. The antioxidants present in Vitamin E help in repairing any cracking that might occur on the skin due to lack of moisture.
3. Sun Protection
Sun protection ranks high amongst the many vitamin E skincare benefits. Using vitamin E on the skin protects it from the free radicals that are generated due to the ultraviolet rays from the sun. Mixing vitamin E with your sunscreen can improve the efficiency of the sunscreen considerably. In addition to sun protection, vitamin E has also proven to be helpful in treating sunburns and skin inflammation occurring on account of excessive sun exposure.
4. Lip Care
Vitamin C helps with skin repair and regeneration. This quality makes the ingredient ideal for dry and chapped lips. Regular use of vitamin E oil can cause the growth of new skin cells, bringing an end to your lip-related woes.
A dash of colour on your lips can complete your look. Find here 10 DIY lip tints you can make at home.
5. Getting Rid Of Hyperpigmentation & Dark Spots
Hormonal changes combined with environmental factors are the primary causes of hyperpigmentation and dark spots on the skin. The quick absorption of vitamin E makes it easier for the skin to heal from these spots and dark patches. For quicker and improved results from hyperpigmentation, it is advised to use Vitamin E along with Vitamin C.
What contributes to making vitamin E the ultimate allrounder ingredient in skincare is the fact that it is fat-soluble. This means that it is easily absorbed by the skin. This wonder vitamin can also be used alongside other ingredients to enhance their absorption and reap maximum vitamin E skincare benefits. However, it is imperative to know how to make use of this nutrient correctly in order to achieve the expected results.
5 DIY Vitamin E Recipes For Flawless Skin
1. Vitamin E Mask For Glowing Skin
The important thing to note here is that vitamin E oil is heavy on the skin and tends to clog pores, which can cause acne. Thus, people with acne-prone skin are advised to use water/gel-based products with a high concentration of vitamin E.
- 1 vitamin E capsule/gel
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Mix the honey and vitamin E oil/gel.
- Apply the paste evenly on your skin.
- Leave it to dry for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
2. Vitamin E Mask For Skin Tightening
Combining the goodness of vitamin E with the exfoliating texture of oats and the skin tightening qualities of mango ensures that you get the best of all worlds in one mask. Mango is very nutrient-rich and is recommended for brighter skin, removal of wrinkles and anti-ageing. This mask is ideal for glowing and youthful skin.
- 1 vitamin E capsule
- 1 teaspoon of powdered oats
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mango pulp
- Mix the mango pulp with the powdered oats to form a thick paste.
- Add the vitamin E oil from the capsule to the mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply the mixture to your skin.
- When the mixture is semi-dry, massage it on your face and neck.
- Wash the mask off with cold water.
3. Vitamin E Mask For Exfoliation
This mask improves the skin in multiple ways. Vitamin E helps with the absorption of the mask and moisturisation of the skin, the egg helps to lighten the complexion and the yoghurt leads to the removal of dead skin cells with gentle exfoliation.
- 1 vitamin E capsule
- 1 tablespoon of yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of whisked egg
- Mix together equal quantities of the yoghurt and egg.
- Add the vitamin E oil to the mixture.
- Apply the mask to your face and neck.
- Let the mask dry for 15 minutes.
- Massage the mask on the face and neck like a scrub.
- Wash off with cold water.
A good homemade scrub can be just the thing you need to upgrade your skincare regime. Find here 25 DIY skincare recipes for head to toe exfoliation.
4. Vitamin E Mask For Hydration
This face mask combines the goodness of two natural powerhouse ingredients to leave you with skin that feels pampered and hydrated. It is important to note that this mask is not suitable for people with oily skin as it may cause acne. People with normal to dry skin can prepare this mask in batches for multiple uses.
- 2 vitamin E capsule
- 6 tablespoons of organic coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil if it has solidified.
- Add the vitamin E oil to the coconut oil and mix.
- Transfer the mixture into a jar and keep it in the refrigerator for 30 mins or until it solidifies.
- Take a small quantity of the mask and apply it to the face and neck.
- Leave it on the skin for 10 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
5. Vitamin E Mask For Dark Spots
This mask not only helps to lighten any dark spots on the skin but also nourishes the skin and leaves it feeling soft and supple. Using this mask regularly can heavily cut down your facial and dermatologist bills.
- 1 vitamin E capsule
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- Mix the vitamin E oil from the capsule with the aloe vera gel.
- Apply it on clean and dry skin with a brush or your fingers.
- Leave the mask on until completely dry.
- Rinse off with cold water.
Who would have thought that something that is so commonly available and is so inexpensive can give us such incredible results? Although we have all been using Vitamin E in some form or the other as part of our skincare regime, using a high concentration of this nutrient and combining it with the right ingredients is the key to uncovering the innumerable vitamin E skincare benefits. Now just put on those face packs and relax, your skin is in good hands.